Alaska Regional’s Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation provides intensive inpatient therapy services to those suffering from disabling impairments. Our program will help determine the most appropriate setting and intensity of required rehab services as it pertains to your individual care needs. The primary conditions treated in our 10-bed unit are:
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Brain Injury
- Neurological conditions
- Major multiple trauma injuries
- Medically complex conditions
- Orthopedic conditions
Please note that we do not provide pediatric rehabilitation.
How do I get referred?
Most patients are referred while they are still in the hospital recovering from serious events or injuries, while others are referred from skilled nursing facilities and community based physicians. Insurance pre-authorization is required for admission and is completed on behalf of the patient by the clinical rehab specialist.
What can I expect to accomplish?
The goal of acute rehabilitation is to help you regain function and return to the community. When you are admitted to our rehabilitation program, treatment begins with a thorough evaluation to identify functional strengths and weaknesses. The interdisciplinary team, together with you and your family/support person, work to establish treatment goals. Your program is tailored to meet your individual needs and is modified as progress occurs.
- Average length of stay is 10-14 days.
- A combination of 2-3 therapy disciplines is provided depending on your specific care needs and includes physical, occupational, and speech therapy. Recreational therapists provide weekly community outings based on readiness.
- Physician and nursing oversight is provided continuously throughout the stay. Team members share the goal of returning you to an optimum level of function and preventing further complications.
The focus of acute inpatient rehab is to promote independence with the following areas:
- Bowel and Bladder Function
- Transfers (moving from one surface to another)
- Walking and/or propelling a wheelchair
- Comprehension, expression, social interaction, problem solving, and memory
Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation
Alaska Regional Hospital
2801 DeBarr Rd
Anchorage, AK 99508